Thursday, September 15, 2005

I finally broke my drought on ESPN chats.

All right, I promise to post something more substantial after my day of errands. However, it has been something like 2 years since ESPN has taken a question or comment from me during its chats. The first was a question for former Cal point guard Shantay Legans, in which I asked him about making a game-winning shot against USC that season. The second was for former New York Rangers right-winger Matthew Barnaby, and I chose to ask about the team's prolonged struggles to make the playoffs (which have continued since, much to my chagrin).

Today, there was supposed to be a discussion with ESPN's Rob Neyer, who usually comments that he received hundreds or thousands of questions during the hour session (understandably, no one can respond to more than a couple of dozen). But today, the site personnel could not locate the baseball expert, and so the chat moderator asked for opinions about who should win MLB's awards or who might make the playoffs. By this point, nothing I submitted had actually been posted on the site for so long that I felt it would never happen again.

At the very moment I was about to walk away from the computer, I noticed my comment had just been selected. In disbelief, I actually refreshed the browser just to make sure I had seen this correctly. Sure enough, it was there; I had put my endless hours wasted watching sports to some practical use!

Getting in there at the last minute, I turned out to be the final response of the day. In case you're interested in what I said, you can follow this link.

UPDATE: ESPN has since restricted this link to subscribers only. My contribution was the following:
Alex (OC): This whole "A-Rod can't hit under pressure" argument is ridiculous. Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus pointed out on ESPN yesterday that his offensive and defensive prowess from day 1 made him the ideal MVP. Furthermore, does anyone remember A-Rod's hit to cap the 5-run ninth-inning rally against Kansas City?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home